Woman, 20, on scooter dies after kite string slit her throat
BHOPAL: A 20-year-old woman riding a scooter in Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, died when a razor-sharp kite string slit her throat on Saturday, police said.
The woman was identified by police as Neha Anjana, a student from the town of Mahidpur in Ujjain district, 250 km west of the state capital, Bhopal.
“The woman was riding a scooter with her cousin sister from Indira Nagar to Freeganj when the string tangled in her neck and slit her throat. She fell and was bleeding profusely. Her cousin sister screamed for help but for a few minutes no one came forward to help him,” said Manish Lodha, Madhavnagar Police Station Officer.
Later, a lawyer, Ravindra Singh Sengar, saw them and came to help them. Sengar took the woman to a private hospital in his car but the doctor pronounced her dead.
Manish Lodha said they were trying to track down the person using the string and the seller of the banned variety of kite string.
The use of glass or metal laced kite string, locally called Chinese manjha, has been banned by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) since 2016 as it poses a threat to human, animal and bird life. The NGT order issued following a petition by animal rights organization People for Ethical Treatment of Animals came months after several deaths were reported across the country due to deer ropes. killer steering wheel.
Among them were two Delhi children, aged four and six, who died in separate incidents during the 2016 Independence Day celebrations as they looked out the sunroof of their car.
But the NGT order, enforced by some governments with separate state-specific restraining orders, has not been enforced and there are reports every year of people dying or being injured from deer ropes. -wheels laced with powdered glass or metal to sharpen them.
After Neha Anjana’s death in Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said he would ask district authorities to enforce the ban.
Chouhan said the news of the 20-year-old’s death was extremely distressing.
“I am giving strict instructions to all district administrations in the state to take necessary measures to stop the sale of this dangerous manjha,” the chief minister said.